When a building or structure is under construction, being demolished, repaired or modified, the appropriate protection must be provided for pedestrians on nearby sidewalks. This is most often accomplished by the construction of a temporary pedestrian sidewalk canopy that is intended to protect individuals from falling objects.
Gilco provides three types of pedestrian sidewalk canopy systems:
- Heavy-duty post type canopy
- Heavy-duty walk-through frame type canopy
- Light duty rolling canopy
The heavy duty post canopy is designed to meet the higher load requirements (e.g. 250 lbs per square foot) typically specified in the building codes for the cities of Chicago and Milwaukee. Rolling canopies are commonly used for painting, window washing and inspections.
The key advantages for hiring Gilco to install your sidewalk canopy:
- Proper design and construction to minimize your liability
- In-depth knowledge of the essential building codes
- Expert and fast City of Chicago permit service
- Appropriate construction to support scaffolds above
- Proper vehicular barriers where required
- Maintain access to building exits to comply with fire code